Making yogurt

 In the 70s, my friends in La Leche League and I took turns driving to a nearby farm weekly for grade A+ raw milk, and I began making yogurt with some of mine. Both my hubby and I grew up drinking full fat raw milk, and preferred it to processed milk. 

These days, I do better off most dairy, so make my yogurt using tinned Coconut milk, following cardiologist Dr William Davis' recipe. (Here's the option using dairy)

Coconut milk yogurt
Dr Davis wrote this about the L-ruteri strain, "in adition to causing release of oxytocin from the hypothalamus that leads to effects such as reduced skin wrinkles, increased dermal collagen, acceleration of healing, and increased muscle and bone density, also exerts unique upper gastrointestinal tract colonizing effects. 
"This may be important in preventing small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or SIBO, that is now occurring at epidemic proportions in modern people." 
Oxytocin is know as the 'bonding' hormone, and producing more makes us feel good!
Here's a recent interview with Dr Davis on gut health, and how helpful he and clients are finding this yogurt as a source of probiotics! 
Making coconut milk yogurt
  • I can full fat coconut milk (og)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon prebiotic (grated raw potato, coconut or green banana flour, or inulin powder) 
  • Several tablespoons starter from the last batch, or several capsules of L-ruteri probiotic 
Heat the milk, sugar and prebiotic, pour into a glass container, and allow to cool to ~105°
Culture for 36-40 hours at a little over 100° Refrigerate, and use 1/4- 1/2 cup as you would any yogurt. It's mild and delicious! Reserve a couple of tablespoons for the next batch. You can freeze some (in an ice cube tray, and then place in a small bar or bag) for future batches. 

I like using a wide mouth glass jar for culturing and storing the yogurt. I put hot water in my simmer pot, then added the jar of yogurt, and turn it on for 15 minutes periodically - making sure it doesn't get too hot. I wrap the crock with a hand towel to help hold the temperature. 

Have you made yogurt?
Would you like to give it a try?

Comments

  1. I love how you make the yogurt-making process sound so simple and rewarding. Your touch and tips for customizing the flavors really make it feel approachable for anyone, even first-timers like me. I especially appreciate how you encourage experimenting with different toppings—that makes it feel like a fun, creative experience. I

    By the way, what does OG mean after the coconut milk?

    Thanks for sharing this awesome, old-fashioned goodness with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ᏩᏙ (wa-do / thank you) Paul! It is an easy process once you get the right temperature to culture. Some folks find an insta-pot even easier- as long as you can keep the temperature 100-105°
      OG stands for organically grown! I aim for that on most of my food- especially things I eat daily!
      For folks using dairy, you might look for sustainable - and full fat!

      Delete
  2. This seems like an incredibly easy and helpful process. Love seeing how this works - your containers are adorable, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! It tastes good, without a bunch of additives - and the health benefits of this strain are phenomenal!
      Hee hee - I usually find the in thrift stores!

      Delete
  3. great recipe and thanks for education

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made my own yogurt, and I don't think I will in the near future, since my plate is more than full as a working hockey mom, but I applaud you for doing it. I suppose once you start making your own (insert food) you won't go back to store-bought because your own will always taste better, be fresher, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - My daughter would say the same -
      And yes!
      Making your own ___ really makes it hard to have store bought ___ !

      Wth this yogurt in particular, the benefits so outweigh any that's readily available!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning