Kitchen cosmetics

 I've been intrigued with homemade concoctions and Kitchen cosmetics since my teens, and it's fun to watch my granddaughters experimentation with their own formulas! 

My mom was sensitive to chemicals and fragrances, so kept her routines simple - she washed her hair with baby shampoo, and used skim milk (from powder) to set her hair in pin curls! Her mama Mary worked with herbs, so my mom was supportive when I tried recipes from my American Girl magazine (facial stream using mint leaves, facial masks with oatmeal and honey ...) 

In my 20s, my botanist hubby and I grew herbs, and with guidance from our books, I steeped nettles, horsetails, lavendar,  Rosemary and chamomile, for hair rinse, made facial masks, and drank herbal tisanes. I learned to identify plants, and harvest nettles, horsetails and wild herbs. 

When my son was 8 or 9 and spurred by our mean rooster, we learned about clay for wound care from our friend Kylene - after thorough cleaning, the clay drew the toxins and the wound healed rapidly! A calendula salve after helped compete the process. 

Decades later, we use clay on injuries from bites to bruises to breaks, and in facial masks, and are always grateful for its simple healing power! (Green, white, red, and mud from hot springs are all good!)

Flax mask and conditioner

Recently I got a text from my 18 year old granddaughter, asking if I had flax seeds for a hair mask - why, yes I do! I went next door, and helped her find the ground flax her mom offered .... Both she and her older sis used - and liked it!

I got a haircut last week, and with more wave, of course I wanted to try the flax gel myself! I found several recipes online, and made up a batch using:

  • 1 cup filtered water
  • 1 Tbsp flax (simmered 8 minutes & strained)
  • 2 tsp aloe
  • 1/2 tsp collagen
  • 2 droppers Amla oil
  • 8 drops Rosemary E oil

After my batch cooled, I used some as a mask,  massaging several TBSP into my scalp and hair, then wrapped and let it sit 15 minutes (and added a teaspoon to my clay facial mask) 

I've been using a shampoo bar and love it - easy to use with way less packaging and waste! Alyssa mentioned she'd also used the flax gel as conditioner, so I did the same,  and my hair feels soft and silky! It would have made a great setting gel for my mom (without the essential oil!)

Rosemary's Family Herbal

One of my favorite tomes and a wonderful compendium of herbal recipes and stories is Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal - if you've ever had tea from Traditional Medicinals, you've likely had one of her formulas!

Do you use herbs? 

Have you tried kitchen cosmetics?

Comments

  1. I need to start using more Herbs in our home so I will check out the book soon as well as the recipes you shared because I like Natural products more than store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosemary's books and teachings are so good! And Mountain Rose Herbs is a good place to order quality herbs from - I'm fortunate to have access to bulk herbs from natural groceries, as well as the ones I grow.
    My early teachers recommen we 'learn 100 things about 5-10 herbs, then slowly add more!' And start with one's you are already drawn to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear these home medicines work for you - I love reading things like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning