ᏣᎳᎩ Journey

 In her post for our October blog challenge, a Julie wrote that rather than trying to explain the several personal projects she's undertaking, she's begun saying, 'I'm sort of on a pilgrimage!' 

This response makes room for further discussion - or you can simply move on!

Ꮡ - su (Simply Cherokee)

Since spring, I've been enrolled in the live ᏗᏕᎶᏆᏍᏗ - dideloquasdi (school/ learning) via online classes, via the ᏣᎳᎩ -Tsa-la-gi (Cherokee) Nation!  The weekly classes are offered at no charge to the students, and I'm on a pilgrimage of my own!

Taught by first language speaker Ed Fields, with assistance from Meli (Mary Rae - who began studying with Ed nearly a decade ago), these classes offer a wonderful glimpse into the world view and culture! (Here's Meli and Ed's site which includes little word puzzels)

The online classes are open to anyone who wishes to learn Cherokee, no matter your heritage nor location. In person classes are held in Tahlequah, and around the country in outreach offerings. 

Online, Meli often writes 'extra' words or concepts in the chat, and Ed responds to the comments we make - often with a little 'jokie!' (And we respond lol or ᎭᎭ - ha-ha!)

Syllabary practice

True to form, I'm acquiring a library of books - Journeying into Cherokee by Ed and Meli, Simply Cherokee (with nemonic prompts for learning the symbols) and Beginning Cherokee - published in the mid 70s, (described as 'often the first textbook students come across.') are some of my recent films. 

Some of my Tsalagi Library

I picked up 'Cherokee Words with pictures' in a used bookstore about 20 years ago, and my interest in the language was reignited in our Native Voices bookgroup. When I saw mention of the online offerings, I jumped in!

I often hear my dad's voice when Ed makes a joke, or teaches background of a phrase - and feel my ᎡᎵᏏ Elisi (grandmother) Minnie's heritage being passed down. My other grandmother, Mary, grew up in rural Washington, and spoke some Klikatat and the trade language, Chinook Wawa.

 'hello grandma - Where are you going? 

ᎣᏏᏲ ᎡᎵᏏ  o-si-yo e-li-si /  ᎭᏢ ᎮᎦ -ha-dlv he-ga? 

There's wry humor and play on words ... My mom and dad were curious - reading, studying and enjoying 'lunch and learn' talks - lifelong learners.  

I, too, ᎠᎾᏕᎶᏆᏍᎬ ᎢᎪᎯᏓᎠᎴᏁᏓᎲ (a-na-de-lo-qua-s-gi  i-go-hi-da-a-le-ne-da-hv (I am learning/livelong) 

In Tsalagi we don't say goodbye - rather ᏙᎾᏓᎪᎲᎢ / do-na-da-go-hv-i, 'let us, you and I, see each other again!'

Are you on a pilgrimage?

Comments

  1. How exciting that you are learning the Cherokee language. I love this! I also love that fact that you don't say goodbye, but rather let us, you and I, see each other again. Not nearly as final as goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it's challanging - and fun! Good way to exercise the brain!
      Isn't it a lovely parting?

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing project! I love seeing people step out of their comfort zone to try something they have a unique interest in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a great project. I can see you are all in! I think our brains do very well when they are challenged by new languages and cultures. The Hebrew language has a word for “see you later” when it is too hard to say Goodbye - L’hitraot - XO Elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I turned 74 this fall, and love language aquisition as an exercise for my brain!
      I've attended several talks on brain health, and switching up activities / learning something new is often suggested.
      Also dance - for all ages in most indigenous cultures around the world - is a great way of combining physical, mental and social activities!
      And thank you for sharing that lovely Hebrew word for see you later!

      Delete
  4. Such a fun project to learn a new language

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rich and I loved visiting Cherokee NC and he actually learned a bit of their words. I'm so happy to see that Clingman's Dome has gone back to the Cherokee name as so many others in the area are getting back to their roots. What a fun project you have undertaken! As for goodbye, Rich would never say goodbye, he said it was too "final", he would always say "see you later." So I'll see you later Nadya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful trip that must hands been - and I was excited to read about the name change as well!
      Living in the Pacific NW,I was delighted to name a couple of teachers come out from Tahlequah (which means 'two / ta-li / is enough) for our outreach language class this summer!
      Yes - see you later!

      Delete
  8. That sounds very interesting to be learning Cherokee. You are definitely a lifelong learner!! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you are writing about your pilgrimage. I love that it is bringing you joy, especially when you think about your father, grandmothers and other relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ᏩᏙ (wa-do thank you)
      It does bring me joy - Spanish is more 'practical' here in Oregon - my grown daughter is trying to learn that - i still Jane a smattering of my HS Spanish - so can return little greetings ....

      Delete
  10. The Cherokee Culture is so lost, and you are part of preserving that. My heritage is Bohemian and Scottish. I should dive deaper into this. I did complete and Ansestry heritage that took me back to 1600 scottish roots. I look forward to hearing more about your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - it is inspiring - and I'm so impressed with the work the Cherokee Nation is doing to preserve and revitalize cultural teachings. Our teacher was fortunate, he spoke the language growing up, and while he went to day school, his teacher spoke no Cherokee - AND just let him draw, when he didn't understand!! He began learning English ~ 4th grade, but kept good Cherokee!
      Kristine - how lovely! I also have Scottish heritage, and have a song in the Scott's Gaelic which i learned at a folk harp conference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning