Harvest Fair

 This is the second year I've tended the Tea Garden bed, as part of our Edible Landscapes of Yamhill along project on Alpine Avenue. I love my garden box, with its well established perennials, which need little care beyond the watering. The lemon verbena came through winter, and i planted a few tended plants in spring. 

Tea Garden in June

Last year, our group officially 'adopted' the 8 block stretch  of Alpine Avenue, for periodic trash clean up. The city of McMinnville provides kits (vests, rubber gloves, grippers, signs and garbage bags) which make it easy for groups to tend the roadsides! I joined the cleanup last spring, and again this week, just before our Harvest Fair - Matthew and I gathered 2 1/2 bags of trash along the 6 block area! You can read about last year's harvest fair here

Nadya and Matthew

For the Harvest exchange, Members brought produce from their own gardens and boxes, gathered produce from local farmers at the end of the market, and visited a local pumpkin patch. Participants are encouraged to bring something to share, and then fill up bags and baskets. The HS horticulture teacher brings his press for fresh apple cider.

Produce haul

I stopped by the Tea Garden to clip some rosemary, and meet my friend Audrey at the fair. She brought basil from her plot on the community garden (in the bag), and we had lunch after. 

Edible landscaping is a part of Zero Waste, which held its a plastic ♻️ event today.  While we have curbside recycling, some plastic (lods, bread clips, clamshells) need to be handled seperately. Volunteers help with the sorting, then drop them off to be recycled. 

Edible Landscaping Cap

Do you have a volunteer project?

Comments

  1. That sounds like a great project! I don't participate in anything like that, but I think the harvest fair is a great idea. That's cool that you have a garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanine!
      I'm semi-retired, and love to see folks get involved with gardening, so it's a nice fit!
      My youngest granddaughter is in the gardening class in middle school (!) And one of the oldest was in the horticulture class in HS!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely Tea Garden, Nadya! Fresh herbs are such a treat - the fantastic smells and taste. The Harvest exchange sounds like a variation of a CSA. The veggies look so delicious and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy to be granted the Tea Garden - in love that tea Camellia grow well in our Oregon climate, and this bed already had one!
      Yes - herbs are great - i gather some for most meals!

      Delete
  3. The Harvest Fair sounds like such a fun and festive way to celebrate the season. I could almost smell the apple cider and feel the crisp autumn air as I was reading and now, I need to go find a fresh gallon of cider to enjoy!

    I like how you describe the event – it’s like being there! I love how you bring the essence of fall to life with such charm. It’s clear that you put so much thought and heart into sharing these wonderful experiences. Can’t wait to read more about your seasonal adventures!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul! The code was so good - and I'm glad i brought the day alive for you!
      Someone brought a box of quinces to the exchange - I asked Brian if he used any in the cider - he hadn't! I brought several home to dehydrate - they lose their astringency once dried!

      Delete
  4. What an awesome idea to exchange items from each others gardens and the Harvest Fair sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Martha
    Yes - it's a great offering!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning