Harvest festival

 Our last Edible Landscaping event was a Garden Fair in the spring, where we passed out over 3000 seedlings to eager gardeners, young and old! I loved watching Master Gardeners, who had a booth at our fair, perusing the offerings for unusual plants!

Edible Landscaping Volunteers tend 28 box gardens along Alpine Street, on the North side of McMinnville (zone 8b) The garden boxes all look great, and there's plenty of produce available to anyone for harvest! It's fun to stroll from 6th to 13th street with your bag or basket, and see what's available! You can sample things you haven't grown, see their habit,  and consider what to grow in your own garden!

Saturday, we offered fresh pressed apple cider, free produce and seeds our fall Harvest festival! I stopped to snip some herbs from the Tea Garden box I tend, and my friend Miranda snapped this picture!

Nadya at the Tea Garden

Board members collected produce from venders at the Thursday Farmers market, Kramers Nursery donates beautifully packaged,  non-GMO Botanical Interest seeds to the Horticulture teacher at the HS (Brian and I had the afternoon shift at our booth for the Recycle Fair this summer! I assisted as folks painted rocks for their gardens!) I also chose a couple of packets of OG seeds for sprouts! 
(I'm so delighted that Eric of Epic Gardens has purchased Botanical Interest, and is caring on their vision of offering high quality and unusual seeds, many organically grown!)
Harvest Booth at Mac Market
There was so much great produce! I came home with more plums for the dehydrator, apples, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant - and a handful of seed packets! Plus some of the cider in my water bottle - mmm!
'Shopping' the free produce
There was a raffle for canning jars and equipment! It's such a joy to be part of this effort to bring more awareness to gardening and the great climate and soil we have for so much abundant, good food! 

Sample garden box

Do you grow some of your own produce?
What's your current favorite?

Comments

  1. I don't grow anything myself, but would kind of like to. Maybe I'll start with cherry tomatoes next year, they seem easy enough :-) Also, thanks for reminding me that I too have a dehydrator, and should probably use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry tomatoes (and some basil!) will be great start! I love my Sungold and sweet 100 - also tried Indigo Kumquat this year - quite tasty!!
      My heirloom (black Krim) hasn't ripened yet - and takes up way too much room! I'll Harvest green tomatoes and compost out soon!

      Delete
  2. There is nothing like having a garden! My sister and I spent yesterday working on a fall / winter garden. I can't wait to begin enjoying the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!
    That's awesome - it's such a treat to have our own produce year round!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning