Family Camp

 For the last several years, church members and friends have been invited to spend a fall weekend at Camp Arrah Wanna, on the beautiful Salmon River in the Cascades, near Y'East (Mount Hood). Some congregants grew up coming to camp when young, as have my grandkids. 

Salmon - in the Salmon River 

This year, all our group's camp fees were covered by a Calvin Grant, which pastor Erika wrote for the 52 week Seasons of Wonder devotional, by (Bonnie Smith Whitehouse). In adition to the books, the grant has funded supplies for recommended creative projects, and field trips, which Bonnie recommends to add depth. 

This spring, I led a session on making rose beads as part of a session on making rosaries, and my daughter, grandkids and I have joined field trips. 

John, Shelly and pastor Erika
Our camp time includes ample free periods in addition to meals, workshops and group activities. My daughter, her 13 year olds and I came this year.  
Saturday morning, Lara donned waders to lead a session on macro-invertebrates, which she scooped from the river. A group of adults and kids, my grandson and I amongst them,  joined her on the bank, and used the id sheet to identify these small creators that spend part of their life cycles in the water.  
Lara gathering samples
My dad was a fly fisherman, and I grew up camping with my folks on the Metolious and Deschutes in central Oregon.  I was intrigued when he showed me caddis fly larvae,  tucked into their 'portable protective cases,' covered with tiny pebbles, and enjoyed watching for little rocks that wiggled!
Z-man exploring 
We were all intrigued with the tiny creators, which we observed in ice cube trays, before returning then to the water. We are also  distracted by the Salmon, who'd come upstream to spawn.  
Lara explained that during this final stage of their life cycle, their mouths change shape and they are no longer able to eat.  
Wayne and Kathy Beckwith
We all relished this beautiful morning at the river, seeing the critters, and watching Salmon hover or jump. Lara left the id sheets and some supplies with staff, so they can pass them on to future groups. 
Another Salmon
In the afternoon, some of us (all adults!) watched My Penguin Friend (so poignant - and based on a true story, of a Magellanic penguin rescued from an oil spill, who traveled 5000 miles each year to be with his Brazilian friend!) ... 
Others could hike another stretch of the river or take personal time. After the movie, I returned to the river with the kids and several adults for more time by the water. 
Sara & Sunshine crafting Mushroom Houses
Sunday morning I was in the Craft Shack, crafting a mushroom house with found materials from around camp, while Pastor Erika led another group marbling paper for cards. 
Mushroom Houses and cards on the mantle
Last year I led a couple of the craft projects - it was fun to simply participate this time! In '22,  my middle granddaughters Emily and Kayleen came with us as well, last year, my son-in-law joined. 
My house, with Lara's in the background
We had large group circles, and broke into smaller groups for activities. The kitchen food a great job with special diet offerings, and the Fireplace is lovely for making s'mores (with gluten free grahams!)

It was a lovely weekend, and  what a great way to experience ᎤᏬᏢᏗ  ᎨᏎᏍᏗ  ᏏᏓᏁᎸᎯ (fun/let it be/ with the (extended) family)

Do you/did you go to camp?

Comments

  1. What a wonderful post! It sounds like Family Camp was such a blast—full of laughter, cozy moments, and the beauty of nature. The way you captured the magic of spending quality time together really shines through. I can imagine the joy of disconnecting from daily routines and reconnecting with loved ones. And especially in those surroundings (my idea of disconnecting recently has been going to the local coffee shop!)Thank you for sharing this heartwarming experience; it’s truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul!
      We look forward to gong each year, and it's fun to see how quickly the kids are right at home, exploring and spending time with friends!
      It is worthwhile getting out of the daily patterns and routine, when we have the opportunity!

      Delete
  2. Family camp is the best! I can often be found hovering around craft shacks or skipping stones or on a random hiking trail. Time outdoors with our church family is always a joy! Thanks for sharing this magical moment in time with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great?
      You'd have been right at home, Julie! Sunshine and Sarah practically camped out in the craft shack!

      Delete
  3. That looks like great fun. Thank you for sharing your adventure with me! I have never gone to a family camp, but it looks very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a wonderful family trip! I've only ever gone to a camp twice and it was with Young Life, once as a participant, when I was in high school, and once, as a camp counselor when I was in college. I think it's great that you and your family go every year. I'd love an annual trip, although I would probably prefer something Christmas-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience with camp in the past is sinless to mine, Jeanine - I went to a Grange camp near a waterfall (farm related organization where my folks met in the 30s!) and a church camp in the mountains - both when I was in HS.
      Our fall family camp is really sweet - takes a couple of hours to get there, and it's a great combo of being in nature, but sleeping in comfy bedding in a cozy cabin, and being fed!
      Gosh, and Christmas camp sounds fun! One of my women's groups went to Portland before Christmas for several years - stayed in a hotel downtown and enjoyed the lights, eating out, shopping (I'm more a used bookstore, craft market or store than shopping bling gal, so i went off my own way at times!) 🎄

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning