Okinawa Inspiration

 In recent years, many of us have become intersted in Blue Zone areas with higher numbers of centenarians, including Okinawa. There are books and PBS Recently hosted a series exploring Blue Zone lifestyles. 

Soup and salad

Recently, Aki (Samurai Matcha) filmed a session with Christal, who has been living in Okinawa and researching  the practices of these older adults.  They share tips from her research and visits in this video - 7 Healthy Habits of Okinawa.  

Like my previous post sharing tips from Aki's Japanese lifestyle, anyone can incorporate some or all of these into their own lives. 

Aki and Christal open with an invitation to spend time with your friends, and not canceling plans unless it's truly necessary! Spending time with others several times weekly (daily when you can!) supports mental health and happier nature. 

Healthy eating - and only till 80% full (hara hachibi bun me) - is common in older Okinawas, (and key in all the Blue Zones.) A variety of ingredients keeps it interesting - Christal commented that she often gets sent home with something from the garden or kitchen. Moderate alcohol consumption (for those who choose) is common - one centenarian drank a small cup of Yomogi sake each evening - and green tea throughout the day. Pausing to bless food and drink, and give thanks to all who provided it is also important in the culture 

Keep moving! Many older Okinawans garden, take walks, keep working, and are up and down all day - commonly sitting on the floor! In our Western lifestyle, we can tend to sit for hours - let's get up and move!

Endive and pea shoots

Nankuru Naisa - this Okinawan phrase roughly translates to, 'Don't worry/ get stressed!' Being kind and living in the present, doing daily tasks helps keep life less stressful

So how do I incorporate these? 

I'm 73 and live in Western Oregon, next to my daughter's, so I see family daily, and friends several times a week. 

This morning, I enjoyed a Japanese inspired breakfast (Miso soup with Wakame, stir fried greens from my garden + local asparagus, with some kim chi I made and grated carrot) the Miso is organic and gluten free, the vegetables were all local, the tea a mix of herbs and og white tea.

I'll meet a group of friends for lunch - it's a block away, and I'll walk over to and from the fresh Mexican restaurant. 

I plan to grow some purple sweet potato, starting slips  from a tubor I found at a favorite market, and this week I am starting seeds for my garden. For earth day, out circle will host Ø Waste for an event, and on Monday we'll join the world wide honoring. 

Tea garden and adjoining bed

In addition to culinary and medicinal herbs, I have several tea Camellias (and process green tea with my friend Nikki), plus a variety of herbs, and volunteer tending a tea garden in a local Edible landscape (tea camellia in the center of the bed)

Christal mentions sugar that's not just refined - a tip on finding real sugar in the US: look for organic su-ca-nat (sugar cane natural) that's grown and processed more traditionally! 

I choose organic whenever I can, and filter my drinking and cooking water to reduce chemical exposure.

As a massage therapist (40 years - still working 2 days a week), I always try to nudge my clients in the direction of healthy habits and choices. Most mornings, I do Japanese morning exercises, plus Qigong or Breema (Kurdish) and love ballet!

To hi tsu - are you peaceful?

And - I'm learning Cherokee!! (Free online program with a first language speaker, Ed Fields!) I've had a small Cherokee Syllabary 'dictionary for over a decade, and in the late 80s learned a few phrases and morning exercise - my grandma Minnie had Cherokee heritage, and I'm excited to have this opportunity!

What are some of your favorite health and longevity tips?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning