Lifetime Learning

Osiyo - hello

For over 3 decades, I've been interested in learning Cherokee, and have gathered resources when I could.  I picked up books, including a little Cherokee Syllabary dictionary, and practiced the writing. My dad's mom Minnie had Cherokee heritage, and the language has similarity to the Gaelic other ancesters spoke.

Syllabary + Ed's ale Mary's book

This spring I signed up for live online dideloquasdi (school/ learning) via the Tsalagi (Cherokee) Nation - which funds language classes throughout the year - at no charge to the students! Taught by first language speaker Ed Fields, with assistance from Meli (Mary Rae) who began taking Ed's classes nearly a decade ago, these classes offer a wonderful glimpse into the world view and culture! (Here's Meli and Ed's site which includes little word puzzels)

This post by another of Ed's students provides a nice overview of the classes, which still use the format Jamie describes. The online classes are open to anyone who wishes to learn Cherokee, no matter your heritage nor location. (and - you can ask questions in the chat!! Meli often writes 'extra' words or concepts in the chat, and Ed has responded to comments I've made)

There are many additional resources available from the Nation, both in print and online, plus links to other sites and resources. I love watching Osiyo TV and listening to music

I'm acquiring a library of books - Journeying into Cherokee by Ed and Meli, Simply Cherokee (with nemonic prompts for learning the symbols) and Beginning Cherokee - published in the mid 70s, (described as 'often the first textbook students come across.') 

I also got a reprint of the 1800s hymnal (all in Syllabary), and books with stories, culture philosophy, plus several written for children. Here's a video on ways to learn a language similar to the ways children do. 

Some of my Tsalagi Library

Our Native Voices bookgroup reads and discusses books by indigenous authors, and we've visited Chachalu cultural center at local Grand Ronde (several NW tribes) several times.  Later this month I'm enrolled in a weekend language iintensive in Oregon, (also offered at no charge through the Cherokee Nation!) and will get some practice, and meet other speakers!

I use an online dictionary feature to look up words in Cherokee (phonetics, Syllabary and a voice clip), and keep adding words. Ed enjoys finding older words and usages, and sharing those with his students. saying, we're building 'a mountain of words!' And with those mountains, we gain understanding!

I often hear my dad's voice when Ed uses/explains a word or phrase - and feel my Elisi (grandmother) Minnie's heritage passed down. 'Where are my offspring? - ha-dlv a-que-tsi ...or 'hello grandma - Where are you going? - o-si-yo e-li-si ha-dlv he-ga? There's wry humor and play on words ... My folks were curious - reading, studying and enjoying 'lunch and learn' talks - lifelong learners. I, too, a-na-de-lo-qua-s-gi  i-go-hi-da-a-le-ne-da-hv (I am learning/livelong) 

In Tsalagi we don't say goodbye - rather do-na-da-go-hv-i, 'let us, you and I, see each other again!'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning