Ikigai and longevity

 In this recent video, Sachiaki Takamiya talks about different ways we can protect our gut health, which in turn enhances our general health. 

Picked garlic, cilantro, Miso, Kim chi, tofu

Many of these concepts are familiar and  ones I already incorporate into my life.  Living on the West Coast, I have enjoyed rice, Miso and yes, tofu for decades. 

Moderate movement - ideal if it's both enjoyable and not overly strenuous.  Last year i discovered the Japanese morning exercises in comments on another health thread.  Doing movement that exercises arms and legs for 6-10 minutes early in the day 'turns on' our lymph flow - increasing the benefits of movement throughout the day!

I also enjoy Qigong, Breema, gardening, walking and dance, and encourage other folks to find movement they enjoy!

Sleep and stress - as Sachiaki mentions, getting adequate sleep is so helpful for general health. And keep manageable stress at a minimum - slow down! One tip from several years ago - go outside at around sunset, which helps activate melatonin production! If you're a gardener, this is a great time to take a walk and enjoy what's in your yard. 

Gadugi is a Cherokee word for community/ mutual support. For stress management, engaging with friends and community in non competitive ways and volunteering are wonderful.  In addition to book groups, dance, choir and church, I participate in a weekly drum circle. Yesterday our circle took part in a world wide music event in our own downtown. 

Terry & Sandy - native American flutes

Fermented and cultured food support healthy gut bacteria I've made yogurt with coconut Organic milk for several years, and following Sachiaki's lead, have begun making Natto. 

I eat mainly plant strong, and fresh local organic produce which is avaiable throughout the year both from my garden and our farmers markets. (Western Oregon) I also get local, pasture raised lamb at market, (occasional) and wild caught fish.  I love Miso soup, and eat organic rice and quinoa and other gluten free whole grains regularly. 

Ichiju sansai - having a variety of foods and condiments in small bowls at each meal. I love meals with Japanese friends and all the small dishes - and love my collection of small to medium bowls made by local potters, and my handmade chopsticks.

My mama's doctor suggested moderation or Hare and Ke (festivals and everyday) when she began to gain weight in her 60s: That she follow healthy eating most of the time, but also to enjoy Festivals/ holiday meals, 'budgeting' for those times by eating a little less the days before and after!
It worked beautifully, and she passed that suggestion on to me! (She lived to 92) 

Limiting use of alcohol to Hare (festivals/ perhaps one day a week) is a good practice.  I was fortunate to grow up with folks who shared a small glass of wine on birthdays, and my dad liked a beer when he watched baseball on TV ... so very occasional use is easy for me! Sugar is more tempting - and should also be limited!

- Here is a glimpse into the life (and meals) of Takishima Mika, 92 year old fitness instructor in Japan! I love that she tiptoes around her home - and admire her activity level! 

What are some of your favorite longevity tips? Please share in the comments. 🙏

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning