Sochani

 Recently, I used my little Cherokee Syllabary dictionary to record plant names in my garden journal, I needed to look up one of the wild greens, Sochani, and was delighted to find this article

This winter, I'd ordered 'Golden glow' (Rudbeckia lanciniata) seed from Everwild, havinging read the greens were a favorite food of the Cherokee.

Sochan seed packet

In an article on his blog in 2019, edimental proponent Stephen Barstow wrote that Rudbeckia lanciniata"is documented as probably the most important spring vegetable of the Cherokee in the Southern Appalachians in Moerman’s Native American Ethnobotany, which is probably where I first noted its edibility. It’s missed in Cornucopia II. The Cherokee ate the tender young leaves and stems cooked alone or with other greens such as poke (Phytolacca americana), Ramps (Allium tricoccum), Rumex spp. (docks) and eggs. They were also fried with fat, were dried for later use and also eaten as a cooked spring salad or as celery (presumably raw)."

And, "It is believed to have similar medicinal properties to the closely related Echinacea (also known as coneflower). ... it tastes good, slightly sweet and aromatic similar to other Asteraceae like Korean Aster scaber. (Edible chrysanthemum greens)"

Greens and favorite foods

I was heartened to see that after nearly 100 years, in 2016 the National Park service ruled to allow harvest of traditional plants in the parks by tribal members with permits (and is monitoring plant populations). Since Sochan was traditionally wild-harvested, the people have had limited access for decades! 

In this video, Lisa shares her feeling that every garden needs black eyed Susan, and offers tips on culture and starting Sochan and others from seed. I have a couple of areas I want to seed, and look forward to finally trying it! My grandmother Minnie was born in Oregon, so likely never tasted it, but did have my dad gather nettles in season.  

What new plants do you wish to grow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning