Cleaning the fridge

 One of my Reset tasks this weekend has been cleaning the fridge! I moved into Rose Cottage 10 months ago, and have done spot cleans - one shelf or drawer at a time as I emptied a container or cleaned out the veggie drawer, but it was time for a thorough go! 

Tuesday - before

You know the drill - turn it off, empty the contents (into a cooler, if it's going to take awhile!), wash drawers and any organizers, wipe down shelves, walls and gasket! I did the main shelves Saturday, and saved the door for today.  

I have a random selection of clear shelf organizers, so put them in the dish pan and gave them a good wash.  Compost went into my under sink container, then out to out bin.  

'After'

Don't you love a clean and reorganized fridge?!! The oddest one I ever saw was in the home of a friend's aunt - one lazy Susan on each shelf, and all items on one of those lazy Susan's! Way to OCD for me - but necessary for her! 

Natural cleaning products
I love this refillable glass spray bottle from Sustainable Rituals, which carries so many wonderful natural products, including cleaning tablets or solution in bulk.  
The kombucha jug holds a boron solution - borax dissolved in hot water! This is great for tackling mold, as it's antifungal (plus antiviral and antibacterial!) Melissa Maker offers a great overview for using borax in cleaning! 
(And contrary to her comment on toxicity, Boron (found in borax) is an important micronutrient - 3-20 mg of boron a day (or more!) helps with magnesium absorption, and can prevent and treat arthritis!)
Organizers from the door
Today I moved on to the door, washing the organizers, discarding or consolidating some items, and washing the shelves. My organizers are a mix I've acquired over time - they help corral things, and are easy to wash up as needed. Food storage is mainly in glass or silicone zip bags, and again, I have an assortment! I shop for local produce most weeks, and mainly cook from scratch.
Restocked Fridge door 
It's now nice and fresh, and there's space for a few more items, and my next produce run! 

Do you dread cleaning the fridge, or find it satisfying? 
It's a little of both for me! And I give myself permission to do one shelf or spot cleans as needed! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning