What's on your Plate?

 I grew up in a family that appreciated local food - but in Central Oregon with its short growing season, that was harder in winter! Moving to the valley when I went off to college, then marrying into a family of biologists, I quickly appreciated the abundance of year round local fare! 

Mid winter weeks are often referred to as 'the hunger gap,' as even in our year round climate, growth slows and choices are more limited. Fortunately, we have a year round Farmers market, and our groceries offer local produce and. 






I've eaten mostly local OG veggies & fruit, & try to keep the rest of my food as close to home as possible, for most of my adult life. Squash, kale and chard, potatoes, root veggies are abundant, and Winter salads can include chicory, winter greens, herbs, grated root veggies, celery, Kim chi  and sprouts (so easy to grow your own using filtered water and organic seed) 

Bean and broccoli sprouts

Our little family (daughter, her family & myself) have eaten Gluten Free and mainly dairy free for 14 1/2 years, and I find focusing on whole foods the easiest way to avoid 'gluey' grains. My daughter-in law's doc recently suggested some dietary changes, and my son prepared this lovely New Years meal of roasted butternut squash, streamed spinach, celery, pineapple and homemade peanut sauce - mmm.

Winter fare

When I think of a reset at any time of year, I include movement, healthy food, mental health, and my surroundings.  

New hummingbird feeder

What's on your plate today?

Comments

  1. This meal looks so lovely. And I love that you said you can reset any time of year I find myself doing that often throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it look lovely?!
      My son is such a good cook, and I love the support he's giving his wife in conscious food choices!
      Fun that you reset throughout the year as well!

      Delete
  2. Nice to read you again, Nadya. Your plate looks lovely. I'm surprised to read that Oregon has a short growing season. You should try Saskatchewan! We had squash also today. I made a leftover pork roast into a stew with it. It was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lily - good to read you again as well!
      The Cascade Range gives Eastern Oregon a much harsher climate, with a century's records showing that 'killing frost' can occur in every month! Extreme cold is rare in Western Oregon, and we've a great climate for year round gardening!
      I love squash - I used the ham bone from Christmas to make anice stew with black bean and black eyed peas - also so good!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year and welcome back Nadya! Your plate looks delicious, I love all kinds of squash and looking forward to getting our garden going in a few months! I also look forward to the farmer's markets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and happy New Year! I have so many thoughts for my garden, and seeds!! I love that we've a year round market, and local veggies in several stores!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning