Cozy Greenhouse

 It's been getting colder and fall rains have begun.  Matt brought in the summer hanging baskets, and I added some of my tender perennials to the greenhouse. 

First plants in the greenhouse

After several rainy and blustery days, it cleared up, and I decided today was a good day to rake leaves, and cozy-up the greenhouse.  I watched several videos on using a composter in our by the greenhouse for winter warmth, and decided to give it a try!

Lime, Tea tub and bistro

I began by moving in the tub of tender perennials, & created a cozy nook with the Bistro table and a chair. 

Leaves and compost

I raked dogwood leaves - and reflected on how much I enjoyed doing that with my dad each fall. I packed some in the bottom of a 3 gallon pot, then added about a gallon of partly broken down compost from the bin (plus worms and black soldier fly larvae!) & then another layer of leaves.

Compost Corner

I set the compost pot into the hardware cloth cage Zander and I made before we brought my big composter over, and added more leaves in the cage and in another pot. It's by the door, so I can add kitchen scraps easily - then top with leaves.
I used a couple of boards from the old playhouse for a shelf, and put the pot with ginger on top. 

Cheery Banner

Then I hung the banner on the south wall (it was on the catio over summer) it's above the pineapple sage and rose geranium in the tub.  

The compost should add heat as it breaks down, and I can enjoy a cup of tea at the bistro, and putter in this cozy setting on a cold day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning