Tucking In for winter

 Shout out to the Edible landscape gardeners who joined the work party to tuck the beds in for winter!

Tea Garden - winter ready

I went down to the Tea Garden after a busy morning:

  •  Qigong at the Grange with friends
  •  quick stop at the Farmers Market
  •  in house choir retreat, starting rehearsing Christmas music 🎶 🎄 

Most of the plants in my garden box just S of the Grain Station are hardy perennials, and will overwinter without protection - but I added a few favorite tender herbs, that need to come inside! 

Tender perennials

So I dug up the pineapple sage and Tulsi basil, plus taking a start from the Oregon Tea (which had several long runners). 

I clipped back the mint, and took a few minutes to tidy the box. I'll add a layer of leaves, and plant some fava beans and red clover on my next visit, as cover crops (and the cover can stay for tea!) 

I decided to leave the lemon Verbena on the bed, as it's in a protected position - fingers crossed that it just dies back, and sprouts in the spring! 

In the greenhouse
When I got home, I added some potting soil, them tucked then into the greenhouse,. We've already brought in several hanging baskets, the Persian lime and ginger. 
Several more plants from the home garden need to come in, including one of the galvanized tubs and the yacon. 

Comments

  1. Very nice garden. Wish I had a greener thumb! - Elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad to tend this little garden - am easy one!

      Delete
  2. Nadya, how delightful! I love how you're rotating garden elements for the Winter. My Phoenix garden was made toast this summer, other than 4 trees. So I'm just laying in the new plants for the "Winter".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I asked our leaf- blowing neighbors to leave the leaves (twin brothers, they love to do this each fall!), later gathering them for mulch! Phoenix would be a hard place to garden!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning