In the Atelier

  The threads of Healing and creativity run strong in our family line; massage, midwifery, growing and using herbs, color, crafts, music... 

My mama Lois and I traded back and foot rubs through my childhood; my dad Byrle and I sang in the church choir. I took piano lessons from an excellent teacher, Marion Coe, accompanied our girls choir, and in college I was an education major, with a music minor.  

I always identified as an artist, and as a healer, becoming a massage therapist in the early 80s.  I took up the harp a decade later, and in 2015, I enrolled in the 9 month Color of Woman coursework, and certified as an Intentional Creativity teacher and coach, painting and keeping an art journal, and began offering creative circles monthly, and several longer painting classes throughout the year. In 2020, a sister teacher and I began offering the circles via zoom, and have built a sweet international group. 

Art Cart

One of the things I love about our Intentional Creativity practice is thec encouragement for each student to use intention as we work, which activates our own gifts. It's a mindfulness practice, using Creativity as the focus. 

This fall I'm engaged in Flow Nouveau - sparked by a weekend class (I'm watching replays) and a community painting process with the other teachers and practioners. 

Juju journal beginnings
I began by working on my journal in virtual circle with my friend Cindy - and top the infinity sweep to my paint panel. 
Infinity on 18" paint panel
This week I watched the opening flow Nouveau teachings, and played with color and splatters. I'm honoring the recent passing of two cousins as I paint. 
3 colors and drips 
We often begin with three colors and a spray bottle - the Golden Fluor acrylics come on a beautiful range! This triplet includes Green Gold, Indian Yellow and Pyrrole Orange. 
Swirl and splatters
Then a fluid dance with a fourth color - my favorite Quinacridone Burnt Orange - I took it outside for white Stardust splatters. I'll watch the next segment and paint along later today.  My easel and some of the painting and class supplies are still in storage - I brought a few of my paintings home on my last trip. 

Do you have a creative practice?

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this so much! I have a background in intuitive art as a tool for self-connection, and I love how you describe your approach to art and creativity in this post. I will definitely check out your community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of overlap between Intentional, intuitive and expressive arts!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of "Flow Nouveau" but I like the sound of it. I actually speak French, so I even know what it means ;-) Your upbringing sound like you were always encouraged to express yourself and to put you and your skills and qualities out there :-) I wouldn't know what a creativity practice is, do you mean like a ritual to get into the flow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our teacher Shiloh loves nabbing her classes!
      Yes, I have been encouraged ... practice can include ritual, or be as simple as doodling on programs and during meetings! Arranging flowers, or flowers on a salad ...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning