Cooking in Rose Cottage

 As I'm in process of moving in, we're beginning to bring boxes from storage.  Whilst at my daughter's, I used her stove and pans, with just a few of my own things.  I've been making my coconut milk yogurt in her oven, and this week tried the first batch in my small simmer crock pot.  

The stove is too large for the space (it blocks one cupboard and drawer!) so we intend to replace it with an induction cooktop - my favorite pans, cast iron and a small wok, have enough iron to work on it! 

I'm not a fan of microwaves, so though there is one, I haven't used it! (My friend Donna will be tickled, as she likes to heat her lunch in them.)

* Yay! My son-in law just sold the stove! And my cabinet and butcher block are on order!

One of the kitchen loads included my large crock pot, and I made a batch of black beans and rice that will be good for several meals (I'll freeze some too pull out later)

Crook pot and Granola fixings

Today's project is Granola which I enjoy for breakfast or a treat! I love using Coconut Oil, for its abundant health benefits. I'm a 'handful' cook, use your own judgement on portions! I used hazelnuts today, another time I might add sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Granola
Crockpot Coconut Granola (on High or Med)
  •  3 cups old-fashioned GF oats

  • 1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts

  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

  • Heat 1/3 C coconut oil

  • Add 1/3 C honey to the oil and stir in

  • Prop the lid (chopstick)

  • Stir ~ every 30 minutes, reduce heat if it's browning too quickly 

  • Last 1/2 hour add smaller seeds (flax, sesame) and 1/2- 1 Cup flaked coconut, 1/3 Cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, chopped prunes...) ~ 3 hours total

  • Spread on a baking sheet to crisp, when cool, store in airtight container. 



Alternately, oven bake for 20-30 min at 250°

 I grew up eating whole foods, and  began gardening organically in my 20s. In Oregon's Willamette Valley, we have great access to local organic produce and pasture raised meat.  We've been off gluten since 2010. 

I do better off most dairy as well, so make my yogurt using tinned Coconut milk, following Dr Davis' recipe. (Here's the option using dairy)
Coconut milk yogurt
Dr Davis wrote this about the L-ruteri strain,  "in adition to causing release of oxytocin from the hypothalamus that leads to effects such as reduced skin wrinkles/increased dermal collagen, acceleration of healing, and increased muscle and bone density, also exerts unique upper gastrointestinal tract colonizing effects. This may be important in preventing small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or SIBO, that is now occurring at epidemic proportions in modern people."
  • I can full fat coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon prebiotic (I'm using green banana flour) 
  • Several tablespoons starter from the last batch, or several capsules of L-ruteri probiotic 
Heat the milk, sugar and prebiotic, pour into glass container, and allow to cool to room temperature. 
Culture for 40-48 hours at a little over 100° 
I like this glass topped storage jar for culturing and storing the yogurt. I put hot water in my simmer pot, then added the jar of yogurt, and turned it on periodically (making sure it didn't get too hot)

I'm looking forward to the combo of fresh Granola with some of my homemade yogurt and frozen blueberries  💙

Comments

  1. This all looks so yummy 😋 I have been struck gluten and dairy free for at least 19 years. I have not had yogurt for that long and your recipe is making me drool.
    I have questions on where to find some of the products and finding a good probiotic. Im clueless.
    Thank you for sharing it was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different lifestyle !
      You can get the L-ruteri tablets from several online sources, (the article by Dr Davis has the one he uses) and use several for the first batch

      Delete
  2. Nadya, you prepare food like I used to, 30 years ago! Your granola recipe looks YUM. I never thought of making it on the stovetop. The coconut yogurt is easily done, with the right ingredients, and I may try that also. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! My daughter is 52 (!) This is the way we cooked when she was growing up!
      The yogurt was with raw milk from a grade A dairy, I made Granola sometimes , bread more frequently ...
      Today I'm trying Granola in my new airfryer!

      Delete
  3. In the airfryer (mine is 3 quart with a glass 'bowl!') - to convert an oven recipe: reduce heat (from oven temp) by 25° and reduce cooking time by 20%

    So 220° in mine
    I preheat, then bake the oatmeal, oil, honey and Seasonings about 15 minutes, stirring ~ every 5 minutes
    Nuts and Coconut go in the last 3-5 minutes, and I stir a couple of times; then pour the hot mix over the dried fruit on a big plate to cool!
    Ican make 1/2 recipe in my airfryer. I've been using parchment paper over the stainless steel rack, but decided to order silicone baking bowls.

    One of my market friends adds some sourdough starter to the oatmeal mix before baking, so I tried adding~ 2Tbsp of my GF starter this round!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning