Spring Cleaning inquiries

 Every Tuesday, I look forward to the latest podcast on Amanda Gibby Peters' House Therapy channel. 

 As Rose Cottage nears completion, I'm thinking of those *things* in my storage unit, and what I'll be inviting in to my new home! In that light I'm appreciative the checklist she offers on this week's show

At the new kitchen sink

So, what might we ask ourselves, as we curate the objects in and energy of our spaces? What could we consider, as we add something new (to us)?

Here are some of Amanda's suggestions: 

Basic inquiries:

  • Does it make my life easier?
  • How does it make me feel?
  • Whom does it remind me of?
  • Does it inspire me, and lift my energy? Or depress/ make me feel bad?
Regarding past purchases:
  • Why did I buy it?
  • Would I buy it again?
  • How much would I be willing to pay?
  • Am I keeping it because of how much it cost?
  • Do I feel guilty/ scared to pass it on?
  • Why have I been keeping it?
  • Could I replace it/ do I have a better one?
And
  • Is it (still) useful
  • Does it fit/ make me feel good? (Clothes, books, decor, etc)
  • How much maintenance does it take?
  • Has it already been given a 'pass go' in a previous session (and not used since!)
  • Would I buy it again?
  • Do I have something similar I like better?
Clutter and mood
  • Does my clutter/ chaos make me tired just thinking about it?
  • Does it align with who I am now? If not - passing it on can help us reclaim and increase our energy!
  • Am I 'fed up' with some of the stuff in my space?
  • Do I suffer from living in CHAOS - Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome - because I don't feel good about my space?
  • Is this ___ taking room from something I'd rather have? (When we get a new appliance, the old one is moved out, to make room for the new)
Getting started:
  • Where should I start? Some good choices are:
  • Center of the house - Feng Shui suggests having some clear space in the center of the home - this relates to health/ well being
  • Entry - welcomes opportunities - hang a bell to invite them in
  • Bedroom - prioritize yourself by tending your personal space
  • Kitchen - the hearth and heart of the home - infuse it with some energy!
  • And when? - Am I waiting for the perfect time/ day to start? (Secret- There isn't one) - Just start!!
Living room - koi pond out the window

Amanda ends the episode with the reminder that little daily efforts can make a big difference, and are more sustainable that big purge events! 
Setting some time for clutter clearing and fine tuning each week, month and season can help us reclaim our spaces and energy. 

Happy clearing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning