New Garden

 A new house includes gardening in a new spot! 

My daughter and son-in law moved here 13 years ago, and have gardened off and on throughout that time.  It's a double lot, with the garden area fenced. Small fruit include a row of blueberries, raspberries, a couple of grape vines on arbors, and a rhubarb.  There's an artichoke patch, a lovely Rosemary and several other herbs. The border the veggie area, which has had several configurations. 

Artichoke patch

My younger grandson and I began a no dig bed last summer, and planted greens and tomatoes. They learned about food security and planted seeds each day at VBS (vacation bible school), so we gave the marigolds, beans and sunflowers a home.

Plant station

At my old house, I potted up perennial veggies and herbs, and kept new plants in pots - my dear son-in law brought them over on his truck - several loads! Some will remain in pots, and others planted out as the garden expands. I brought tender perennials into the garage to winter over, including Mexican oregano and a small Persian Lime.

Lunar NY Sunrise from my front door

I'll have space for a cottage garden along the fence just S of Rose Cottage - some plants will remain in pots, and others go in the ground.  I'm planning a trellis and vines near the fence out my kitchen window. My uncle grew runner beans (tender perennials!) To shield a sunny window, and I may grow some by my bedroom! We're planning a Catio out that window - which would provide good support!

Swiss chard

I recently planted several of the hardy veggies in the  bed from summer - perennial kale, chard, good King Henry (a perennial spinach), and extended it for topset leeks and garlic. We covered another strip for the next bed, and am dreaming into the season ahead. 

Compost bin

We also brought the black composter from my old place, and set it in a corner near the gate.  With 6 people in the house, we have a good supply of food scraps (!), and we top each layer with leaves (in the large flower pot. 

Dreams for the future:

  • A poly tunnel for citrus, spring greens, starting seeds, and over wintering
  • Gardens around the cottage
  • A Catio for Mr. Percy
  • Rain harvest set up (off the shed roof)
  • Screening on the N side (a row of arborvita came out years ago, and the neighbor never replaced it)
  • Herb garden
  • More small fruit 
  • Native and pollinator areas

Comments

  1. Wow, you have been busy in the garden. I love all your ideas. We bought a large compost bin many years ago and I love that we don't throw away things that can make wonderful compost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad always had a compost bin - I love mine for the same reasons!

      Delete
  2. Nadya, how delightful you are doing all this gardening! All that time outdoors and touching the earth will raise your DHEA, the Master Hormone, which you probably knew. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that reminder - I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! Gardening is not only fun but a good source of fruit and vegetables. I like how you planted in the large pots! Your swiss chard looks so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - I love eating food I've grown - Eben when it's just a sprinkle of herbs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conscious Corners

Front door

In the beginning