Morning Movement

 As a child, I loved playing, riding one of the neighbor's ponies or the bike I shared with my dad, and hikes on out frequent camping trips - but I wasn't fond of ball sports or PE classes! 

Tai Chi demonstration

I'm my late 20s, I began taking ballet, and then Tai Chi. Though it took awhile to achieve any grace, I love the flow, and enjoy many dance forms. As a massage therapist, I encourage clients to include daily movement, and to discover ones they enjoy and are a good for for their body! And for many years, I've recommended 'bite size' movement that can be done at your desk or in a small space! 

Last summer, in a video by a health consultant, she recommended doing a brief morning warm up (6-10 minutes!) to get the lumph flowing, and mentioned that doing so increases lymph flow with ANY subsequent movement! (Reaching for a jar, bending down to tie your shoes, standing up)

Barbara suggested using a rebounder, whilst in the comments, someone mentioned the Japanese Morning exercises! 

I was intrigued, and a quick YouTube search brought a number of examples! This is my favorite, and includes the first and second sets (about 3 minutes each!) I found it easy to follow along, and to do just about anywhere! 

I started by doing just the first set, then would rewind for a second round, while learning the routine! (As always, check in with your health care provider if needed before adding new exercise!) 

A week in, I stayed at my cousin's during our family reunion, and took my phone out to the patio to do the the routine in the fresh morning air. I often do Tai Chi or Qigong when I travel, and often do a set following the morning exercises. 

at Cousin Tracy's (patio out the window)

So how did this widely popular (in Japan) morning routine begin? In the 1920s, the Metropolitan Life Insurance company wanted to improve longevity and general health of policy holders.  They pioneered a morning exercise routine, with piano music as the background, and tested it in 6 major US cities, finding it helpful on many counts.

In the 20s, life expectancy in Japan was just 42 years, with TB and other diseases - so they decided to try something similar. The music still in use debuted in 1928.

Piano music and the instructions were broadcast via loudspeakers, and all ages gathered to do the morning routine. In school classrooms, parks, and the streets, Rajio Taiso is still being broadcast and enjoyed across Japan! 

My dad played golf most weekdays after he retired, my daughter and her husband alternate a walk before work and exercise videos. Two granddaughters are cheerleaders, their older sisters were on dance team (and go to gyms or walk), and their cousin is an equestrian. 

Saint Helen's HS Drill team

I do the Japanese exercises most mornings, and Tai Chi or Breema several days weekly (the Breema center teachers offer free self- Breema classes most weekday mornings).

 Soon I'll be gardening, and am volunteering with a local garden group to tend a public bed near the market that hosted the NY festival. 

Do you have some favorite ways to keep moving?

Comments

  1. Nadya, what a beautifully written piece! Yes, smooth stretching movement may be the absolute best for us. I'm trained in ballet, yoga, and Chi Kung-- all so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kebba!
      Don't you love having different forms to draw from?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners

In the beginning