In the beginning

 After 19 years in my little house across town, my daughter and son-in law are building me a Grannie Flat - Rose Cottage - in their back yard!

Rose Cottage, facing West

Last fall, we spent most available weekends downsizing and purging in preparation for and doing the move. During construction, I'm tucked in mere yards away, in a back nook in their home! Last summer I asked my new neighbor Jeff if he was intersted in buying my 100+ year old house - and his brother Jim  decided to be the next steward! He's already put on a new roof is upgrading it.!

I'm borrowing a bed from my youngest grandson, which just fits in the space (that will become their laundry nook, after I'm in my new home). 

My new room

I washed the walls with a bit of salt and citrus Essential Oil in the water to clear predecessor Chi, and put cinnamon oil on the broom bristles when sweeping.  Both these tips come from Amanda Gibby Peters (Simple Shui). 

I've long had an interest in Feng Shui, and had a virtual consultation on ways to enhance the energy of the space during (and after!) the build, with my BD twin Gwynne Warner of 10,000 Blessings Feng Shui.  Clearing clutter and setting intention are important first steps. 

In many of my moves, I've just wanted a backhoe at the end - and sometimes been too overwhelmed, so just brought junk along! I deeply appreciate Mary and Matt for "being my backhoe BEFORE the very end!" 

Backhoe - Construction beginning

The stuff! The books! The plants!! 

During the dethugging, I listened to podcasts and watched decluttering videos - and realized I can be 'motivational challenged and have problems with executive function - my dad would say, "Penny wise, pound foolish!" 

I can focus for hours on non-essentials!! But often delay important tasks. Procrastination often goes with this challenge getting motivated, as does sticking to one task (they are both a subset of ADHD!)

One Clutter Clearing Diva, Cass, invites us to "eat the Frog First!" - do that hard thing you really don't want to do, 'cause you know you'll never want to!! 

The Medicine Painting painting above my bed includes this glyph/ sigal, which incorporates the non-repeating letters from 'Eat the Frog First' 

Eat the Frog First

Cass has a great double pronged inquiry, 'Where would I look for this?' - and -  'Would I even know I have it?' (I think of this every time my youngest granddaughter is looking for her shoes!)

As Rose Cottage nears completion, I think of how I'll arrange space, and what I'll include in different rooms.  I know I'll need to sort through the abundance now in my storage unit again, choosing what to curate, and where it will live.  
I look forward to the adventure! 



Comments

  1. I can understand the purging before selling a house. I did that when I sold my house. Even with a system of recording what went in which bin or box, not everything is listed on the labels so I still have to go through the various storage containers to find what I need. I hope you enjoy your new home once it is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Flo!
      I am kind of dreading that time of knowing I kept something - but which box is it in??

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Front door

Conscious Corners